Cosplay Discussions

Wanting To Share Thoughts

Okay, so this is one of my serious entries that involves me just typing down and no longer adding photos and etc. You're probably thinking what I want to discuss here, well it's obviously about cosplay. Recently I have seen a lot of posts and entries from fellow bloggers, facebook users and other online sites that share and give their stand on the numerous rising issues in the cosplay community. One of the issues that hasn't died down until now is how the hobby "Cosplay" is really understood and interpreted. I have seen a lot of cosplayers trying to explain and show how the hobby should really be done, but sometimes that really isn't enough. 

For the other issues, I'll probably dive into them as well. I want to make it clear that these are just my observations and my opinions. You can either agree or disagree with me, but either way I am not on any side. I just want to share my thoughts about this because I've been wanting to express myself for a while now. So, if you do not wish to continue reading, you may browse through my other entries instead. :)


I have took interest in this hobby a long LONG time ago, but only decided to engage myself in it back in 2010. In the short amount of time I have been active in the hobby, I have grown to see, learn and accept how it is to be a "true cosplayer". Cosplay can be defined in many ways, but for me it's characterization in general. But it's not just characterization that is required in cosplay, as many well-known cosplayers say it; you need passion and determination in order for you to fully enjoy this hobby at its best. 

Recently it has come to a lot of people's attention that cosplaying here in my country is becoming mainstream because of media. With the rising interest and rather "popularity" of the hobby, many have begun joining in the bandwagon. But this is probably the reason why the misconceptions and misunderstandings about cosplay continue to increase as time progresses. The most recognizable names in the cosplay community here in the Philippines are Alodia Gosiengfiao and Myrtle Sarrosa; two cosplayers who have been publicized by the media. They are wonderful cosplayers, but the problem here is; how they're projecting the hobby to the audience and how the audience respond to it. A lot of cosplayers have shared their thoughts about that topic, and dominant of them do not like how cosplay is slowly becoming more and more mainstream because of media. Right now, some people join this hobby for the wrong reasons. Which is a very sad thing because bit by bit this hobby is slowly becoming a medium for fame and popularity. Cosplay wasn't suppose to be done for that, it's done because people want to express their love for a character or an anime/game. It was done because people wanted to become their favorite characters and to just be able to share this fandom with their fellow enthusiasts as well. Now, I'm just really saddened at the cosplay community I see today. Guess it can't be helped that this hobby is going more and more mainstream. 

What probably irks me a lot is that when someone sees you in a wig or sees you in a "Japanese-inspired" attire, they will immediately go "Oh it's a cosplayer." I don't blame those people because maybe they do not understand the hobby or maybe even  they've seen it too much on TV that it formed a stereotype for cosplay. Honestly, where I live, if people find your attire odd or unusual (something they don't see regularly) they will automatically think it's related to cosplay. Especially if you're mimicking Japanese fashion, a style not easily recognized or even used  in the Philippines on a regular basis. This confusion between cosplay and fashion is still not resolved until now. People would go through endless debates explaining the differences, but honestly would it really matter? Especially when that person is not familiar with both cosplay and J-Fashion?  I honestly do not like how some people would bash others just because they aren't familiar with the trend. I just think we cannot avoid the confusion, because there are characters that wear school uniforms, and there's a fashion for that in Japan called "Seifuku" or "Gakuen" fashion. Now you tell me, what can you differentiate there except the fact in cosplay the cosplayer would most likely just wear a wig and contact lenses that matches the character while in fashion you wear the attire as it is with no wigs. You cannot blame people if they see those two as one and the same, because in the long run dominant of the Japan-based characters have attires that are based from Japan's fashion. Those rants about how people cannot differentiate the two is really useless especially when those people are not interested in them. We cannot help if some would be labeled as this and that, all because they found your cosplay one and the same with a certain Japanese fashion. Face it, we can't change the fact some costumes are actual fashion styles observed in Japan and no matter how hard you try, you cannot forcibly let someone be familiar with a fashion style they aren't interested in. 

Now I will continue in the cosplay topic. I will admit, it is sometimes offending that I see my favorite characters being cosplayed by some people and they are not given justice. You know I respect cosplayers  who try their best to portray the character to the best of their abilities. Even if they might not have the best costume, but if I see the effort and if I see that they are really doing their best because they love the character, they are the kind who will bloom as great cosplayers one day. But there are just really some who do this hobby for the sake of selfish reasons. Which often times provoke me to speak out, but most of the time I don't since I'd rather not start a drama. As a cosplayer, I just really think this hobby should be done out of love and passion. Not for selfish reasons to gain fame, popularity and recognition by the community. If you're settled in that kind of mindset, you are nothing more than a person wearing a costume and poses in front of a camera. Another thing I really get annoyed is when people who have the resources (especially budget) put out half-assed cosplays. I mean... really? You have everything you need to make a great cosplay, why would you settle for half-assed ones that end up either inaccurate, poorly made or rushed? I see no logic there. It just really shows you're doing this hobby half-heartedly. 

All in all, there can be a lot of things that need to be said. But for me, just please. Do this hobby out of love, passion and determination. Do not be blinded with selfish reasons. Also, to those who are not familiar with cosplay, at least have an open mind with this hobby and do not make a stereotype for it. There are many issues out there, and I know stating my opinions isn't going to help anything. But to whoever who reads this, I just wanted to say that everyone does their best in the things they love to do. If you love this hobby called "Cosplay" then it gives you enough reason to do your best and be the best you can be in EVERY costume that you do. We're here to bring the characters we love to life right? Isn't that the whole point of this hobby? So what gives us the right not to fulfill that?


Labels: , , , , ,